Sunday, April 1, 2012

What is it worth?

I don't know. What is it worth? Is it worth a finger? Or maybe just the tip? I ask this as I stumble around the keyboard hunting and pecking like we want our free-range chickens to do without paying the price. But we do. We all do. Our fingers. Our chickens. Our farmers. Our health. And I'm not really happy about it.

I nearly lost a finger this week. Or at least the tip. Definitely the nail. And a broken bone and 7 stitches. (The first in my life). I know the risks in farming. It was made clear to me last year. I have no control over this. I am at the mercy of Mother Nature. Who told me (and others) she was not happy. We can do better. (Yes, I, too need to step up my game! Can't we all?)

My father had a severe head injury from a farming accident. He was fixing the baler machine when it hit his head and nearly killed him. Miraculously he was able to walk up to the farmhouse where my mother was and did what she had to do to save him. And she did. He (and we with him) had many more years after that.

And one of my classmates from high school did not fare so well. He was out in the fields with his 2-year old son in a BAPQ (big-ass piece of equipment). No one knows what happened. But his wife went out to the fields to find her son in the tractor cab and her husband dead on the ground.

So, I know the risks. But I never thought it would happen to me. And it only takes a second. A micro of a second. I just thought I pinched my finger until I looked down on it. It was "smashed." Cut and bleeding on both sides. Gross. Broken bone. 7 stitches.

And I think about all the people signing up for the CSA for this year. And I think about all those who did not sign up again this year because they lost "$50" from last year. (I gave everyone a credit for god's sake). How many of you are willing to give your pinky? or at least the tip of your finger or even a nail for some really great vegetables?

Probably not many. Food is way too cheap. This is not a game. Anymore.

So, I am asking for people to join the CSA who are serious. About life. About food. About commitment. (Because I am. Are you? I nearly lost a finger. And I am not happy about it). It hurts! And it sure isn't pretty. It'll never be the same. I am scarred for life). But I still am here doing this. And honestly I don't know why.

1 comment:

Jenny Rottinger said...

I'm sorry to hear that you got hurt and hope you'll heal soon. And sadly your post had a point - these days people don't want to pay for good quality food. They want it all free and they don't understand the work and effort that really goes into growing that food - the planting, weeding and nurturing, protecting from bugs, droughts, floods, birds, animals and two-legged-self-helpers. They really don't have a clue but expect to get basketfuls of goodies at the flick of their hand.